The German Development organisation GIZ has become one of the main supports of the initiative Startup|Energy. The initiative of the Stiftung Solarenergie and the University of Freiburg promotes local start-ups in the field of decentralised, renewable energy supply in Germany and East Africa.
At the centre are regional Energy Camps. The application deadline for the next Energy Camp East Africa is 15 April 2021. Individuals and teams who are in the (pre-)founding phase with their mature idea or whose start-up is no more than five years old can apply.
If you are selected to participate in the Energy Camp:
- you receive an individual coaching by experienced entrepreneurs. This is how you develop your business idea and your business plan.
- Participate in the workshop in Kampala. Here your concept is once again critically questioned by the other startups and experts. This gives you valuable insights into how your business idea can become a success.
- you take part in the final Startup|Energy Award. The winner of the award receives prize money of 5,000 Euros for the further development of their product.
- We will connect you with partners from the Startup|Energy community: investors, partner companies, accelerators.
All applications must meet the following criteria:
Your startup must operate in one of these areas of decentralized renewable energy supply:
- Production from renewable energy sources
- Applications to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), such as health, education, water, health, consumption, mobility
- Social, economic and social transformation processes
- Financing solutions
- Resilience Engineering
- Measuring and control systems
Your startup must be registered in the East African Communtiy (EAC) or be in the pre-establishment phase. The countries of the EAC are:
- South Sudan
You must intend to start your work first in the EAC countries.
- Your startup must have an existing product that is less than 5 years old.
- You must have already completed a pilot project or won first pilot customers.
- To date, you have received less than 500k euros from non-African investors.
- 1 March 2021: Start of the application period
- 15 April 2021: Closing date for applications
- May / June 2021: Individual coaching sessions
- 22 – 24 June 2021: Workshop Kampala
How to apply?
Complete the application form and send it to us.
The Energy Camp East Africa is being held in cooperation with: