The 2020 edition of the Off-Grid Appliance Market Survey uses data collected from 133 industry, policy and development stakeholders to offer unique insights into the dynamic needs of consumers and the potential positive socioeconomic impacts of off-grid appliances. 2020 survey results are consistent with shifting sector priorities and global market trends.
Here are the key takeaways
- Practitioners’ views on the development impact potential for LED room lighting have shifted, but lighting remains a vital first step for consumers onto the energy ladder.
- Income-generating productive use appliances demonstrate high impact potential in the agriculture sector; however, there remains a critical gap between theoretical impact and market reality.
- Sustained demand for refrigerators may help drive the market closer to scale.
- Gender is not a strong influencing factor in the perceived consumer demand for, or impact of, off-grid household appliances and business/productive use appliances.
- Demand for basic healthcare infrastructure and medical devices in rural clinics persists, corroborating existing evidence in support of greater intervention.
- Clinics require different healthcare infrastructure to respond to the challenges of a global pandemic.
- The perceived demand for, and impact of, off-grid appliances is consistent across geographic regions.