Green People’s Energy (Grüne Bürgerenergie, GBE) is a regional energy programme funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ in 9 Sub-Saharan African Countries. Under the Promotion of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Programme (PREEEP) GBE Uganda works closely with the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD).
The projects aims at promoting Productive Use of Energy (PuE) through SMEs, farmers and cooperatives in rural areas where it can boost agricultural and commercial activities for more value addition, income generation and job creation.
While access to solar for households has considerably grown in the last decade, PuE is still an emerging market segment. As the private sector can play an important role to introduce and upscale access to PuE applications, GBE Uganda invites solar distributors, project developers and operators of PuE technologies to apply for its 2020 PuE Idea Competition.
Under this scheme successful applicants can receive a financial contribution from GIZ of up to 50% of the total project cost (100-400 Million UGX) for PuE projects in the framework of a public-private partnership.
The project is looking for applicants that intend to:
- Enable rural communities to tap into PuE for socio-economic development
- Introduce and increase the uptake of market-ready PuE solutions
- Pilot innovative new PuE technologies and applications
- Introduce new PuE business and operations models (fee-for-service etc.)
- Test and demonstrate the commercial viability of a specific PuE solutions
Eligible technologies and solutions are:
- Stand-alone solar-powered off-grid solutions such as solar irrigation systems, solar cooling systems, solar mills, solar powered IT systems etc.
- Energy-efficient appliances optimized for the usage in solar powered mini-grids
- Approaches such as solar kiosks, solar power hubs/centres etc.
- Solar thermal systems, for example for cooling or drying fruits, vegetables and herbs etc.
The idea competition will be implemented as follows:
First round: Applicants are invited to fill-in and submit the attached application form.
1st evaluation: Out of the received applications GBE Uganda will select up to 5 applicants for the development of full-proposal
2nd round: GBE will evaluate the full proposals and also check whether applicants fulfill the formal requirements for a GIZ public-private partnership
Final evaluation: GBE will offer up to 3 applicants a public-private partnership for the implementation of the developed projects
The full terms and conditions of this idea competition are captured in the application form.
Applications for the 1st round must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than the 30th June 2020. In case you need further information or have questions and queries, please contact us under email@example.com.